Weaving a journey as a mathematician at
At Brooklands Farm Primary school, we weave a life long learning journey, entwining positive personal wellbeing with high aspiration for academic success. We want to create confident, skilful mathematicians who have a life-long love of maths. It is our intention that maths is filled with connections, so that our children enjoy it more and open, grow and believe in their learning. We follow the National Curriculum and use Power Maths to help develop a deeper understanding of mathematics through: fun practical activities, exploration, discussion, problem solving and reasoning. What is Power Maths? Power Maths is a resource that has been designed for UK schools based on research and extensive experience of teaching and learning around the world and here in the UK. It has been designed to support and challenge all pupils, and is built on the belief that EVERYONE can learn maths successfully. How does this support our approach to teaching? The philosophy behind Power Maths is that being successful in maths is not just about rote-learning procedures and methods, but is instead about problem solving, thinking and discussing. Power Maths includes practice questions to help children develop fluent recall and develop their conceptual understanding. How will the lessons work? Each lesson has a progression, with a central flow that draws the main learning into focus. There are different elements, informed by research into best practice in maths teaching, that bring the lessons to life:
- Discover – each lesson begins with a problem to solve, often a real-life example, designed to get all children thinking.
- Share – the class and teacher shares their ideas and the teacher models different ways to solve the problem, explaining their reasoning with hands-on resources and drawings to make their ideas clear.
- Think together – the next part of the lesson is a journey through the concept, digging deeper and deeper so that each child builds on secure foundations while being challenged to apply their understanding in different ways and with increasing independence.
- Practice – now children practice individually or in small groups, rehearsing and developing their skills to build fluency, understanding of the concept and confidence.
- Reflect – finally, children are prompted to reflect on and record their learning from each session and show how they have grasped the concept explored in the lesson.
What if my child needs a confidence boost, or wants to be challenged further? Power Maths is based on a ‘small-steps’ approach, sometimes called a mastery approach. This means that the concepts are broken down so that your child can master one idea without feeling overwhelmed. Each lesson includes a challenge question for those children who can delve deeper into a concept. Maths across the curriculum At Brooklands Farm Primary School, we have designed our curriculum so that children have opportunities to apply and develop their Maths skills across the curriculum, in all subjects. Likewise there are daily opportunities for procedural reading within Maths lessons, with a focus on vocabulary and language. Our holistic approach ensures that children are empowered to become confident learners and lead fulfilled lives as citizens of our local and their wider communities.
Progression across our Primary School is here